Thank you for your interest in adopting an animal! We hope that the following information will answer a lot of the questions you may have but if you need to talk to someone you can reach us during our business hours and we’ll be happy to help you!
What To Expect When You Visit The Shelter
- Plan to spend as much time as possible becoming acquainted with the animals in our adoption center. Each animal has his/her own distinct personality, just like people do. Our goal is to assist you in finding your best match for a companion so please tell us about your lifestyle, activity level, how you see your relationship with the animal and anything else you think will help you find your forever friend.
- Once you’ve made a connection we’ll take you outside with the dog or into a private area with the cat or small animal so that you can get better acquainted. Please ask any questions you may have, that’s why we’re here!
- If you have any other animals we may recommend (or require) that you set up a meet and greet. This will help you see how the animals interact together and gives you an opportunity to ask our adoption counselors about any behavior that you see between them. We also require, as a standard precaution, that you make sure all other animals in the home are up to date on their vaccinations and healthy before you consider bringing another animal into the house.
- If you decide to go ahead with the process we’ll give you an adoption application. One of our adoption counselors will speak to you about any particular needs the animal has and how you can expect that animal to fit into your home and situation. Remember, there is usually an adjustment period when bringing a new animal home. Again, we can answer any questions you may have.
- If you rent your home we’ll ask to speak to your landlord in order to make sure there aren’t any restrictions or animal policies you aren’t aware of. Please bring that contact information with you. If you own your home please bring some sort of verification like a tax or water bill.
- If you have other animals in your home please bring your veterinarian’s contact information. We will need to do a quick courtesy call. If you’ve never had a pet before that’s OK, we can recommend a vet for you if you need one.
We want to make the best match possible for you and our animals. In fact our goal is that once an animal leaves our shelter, they never come back! For that reason we require that everyone in the household come meet the animal you are considering before the adoption is approved. We reserve the right to deny an adoption if we feel that it is not in the best interest of the animal. We will continue to work with you to find the companion is the best fit for you and your family.
Please understand that in order to give our animals the best possible chance at a home we do not reserve or “hold” animals. You need to complete the adoption process before the animal can be guaranteed to you.