The APCSM encourages agility for nearly any breed of dog over a year old. You will be amazed at how the bond between you and your dog will improve, gaining tremendous confidence in your relationship. Agility provides fun and exercise and once you and your dog are taught the basic skills and as you both become familiar with the activities, your dog will instinctively want to perform.
You and your dog will be placed in a class that is most suitable for your experience level and your ability to control your dog as evaluated and determined by the trainer. Most often classes are comprised of 6 to 8 dogs.
The Beginner class is an introduction to the basics. This is where the dogs and handlers learn the terminology and experience movements through the obstacles. Placement into the beginner class is at the discretion of the training staff.
- Minimum of 1 year old (breeds with max adult weight of 20lbs may begin at 11 mos.)
- Have their basic required shots
- Not negatively reactive to other dogs and people
- Obedience trained and socialized with dogs and people outside of their own home
- Controllable in off-leash activities
- Buckle collar or suitable harness (prefer leash attaches at the top)
- Prong, Gentle Leader, Halti collars not recommended while running through obstacles
- Use a light weight 4 to 6 foot training leash and a grab tab for early off-leash work
- Lots of the most enticing small treats on earth or “the” favorite small toy
Classes are always scheduled for Saturdays. Any weather related cancelations will be made up the next day, Sunday, during the next session starting September 23rd.
The cost is $90 for the 6 week session; 100% of the proceeds go to the shelter.
- Checks are made payable to the APCSM
If you are interested in participating or if you have any questions please contact Tony Bilotta by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or visit the APCSM shelter at 1300 West Elm Street Extension, Brockton. Click here for application and waiver.